Thursday, July 5, 2018

Free Range Parenting Fears

I love the idea of a free range childhood. I grew up in a very small town. We had a decent house in a new developing subdivision, which meant that we were surrounded by acres and acres of open land that was yet to be developed. So my modest subdivision home felt like a ranch with 500 acres. As a child, I was free range from very early on. My brother and I would wear a watch and we were required to check back in at home every hour or so, longer as we got older. Other than our "check ins," we were free to climb trees, build forts, and "rescue" whatever little wild mice or snakes we could capture. It was so much fun and it must have been generational. My mother and father had very similar upbringings. Both grew up in very rural parts of our small town and had easy access to redwood trees, creeks, rivers, wild berries and hills to entertain their days.
San Antonio, Texas
Fast forward to now. I live in a city of nearly 1.8 million people and our house is in the heart of this city. I don't know if times have changed or if there is just less comfort in going free range in a city vs. a town, but I cannot imagine letting my child have the same freedom that I had growing up. You see, in a town there is an understanding that you know most everyone. If someone passed by and saw me playing, it was most likely a friend, a neighbor, a cashier from the grocery... you get the idea. I am not sure if that is a false sense of security or if the stranger danger of a city really puts your child more at risk....  All I know is the idea of gangs, pedophiles and even city police scare range right out of my free.
Free Petting Zoo Event 2018
With that being said, I still love raising my child here. This city is bustling with low cost and free activities for kids. The amount of exposure we have access to is a blessing. My 3 year old has a solid group of diverse friends. He has seen original Picasos and Monets, held dozens of exotic animals, been to major arenas, and benefited from living in a city with a major airport (small town people know that flights are very, very expensive). But as a parent who appreciates free range, how can I incorporate that into my city lifestyle?   
Toddler Centered Art Tour 2018
 I feel free range parenting raises safe and confident kids. Free range parenting:
- Forces kids to assess risk themselves and navigate it appropriately.
- Offers kids opportunity to use their imagination and creativity to entertain themselves without the crutch of toys or electronics.
- Gives kids opportunities to problem solve issues and lets them practice social interactions without intervention.
- Lets kids sample independence and build self-efficacy prior to launching them off into the world.

I have some ideas brewing. Luckily, we also stable a horse at a ranch with 100 acres, so there is an obvious opportunity there; but, I would love to hear more ideas of how you safely incorporate free range parenting into your lifestyle. Any successes or failures? Anyone complete reject this parenting philosophy? Is there a difference between rural and urban? Any urban ideas or opportunities? I would love to hear it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment