Sunday, August 13, 2017

Diastasis Recti - What to do.

At 19 months postpartum, I was certainly back to pre baby weight and size, but I still had "the gap." At this point it had healed some, but I was still experiencing many of those previously mentioned symptoms. Thankfully, my first appoint at physical therapy was so empowering and enlightening. Not only were there things I could do to help heal my gap, but there were also steps I could make to prevent it from possibly occurring or at the least being as severe during my next pregnancy.  For example, the doctor recommended wearing a support band during pregnancy from about 5 months forward (if not regularly, at minimum during activity). She explained that a support band helps keep the abdominal muscles trained in place instead of allowing them to shift to the side.

The doctor also advised that women who breastfeed experience healing much later than women who don't breast feed. While nursing helps the uterus to shrink and burns additional calories for mommy, it also continues to encourage the production of muscles and tendon relaxing hormones. These hormones don't make your Diastasis Recti worse, but certainly delay the natural healing process until after baby has been weaned.

During our first session I was provided a treatment plan, which has been built on each week. While this treatment plan was recommended specifically for me and should not replace an actual personalized treatment plan, I felt sharing some of the exercises may be a helpful examples of what healing exercises could look like.


The last recommendation the doctor made is my personal eye roll worthy activity... She so ever fervently advised the regular practice of kegel exercises; regular as in every stop light while driving and after every potty break. Ugh... Not my favorite for sure and certainly skipped more than I care to admit.  She of course shared a handful of other exercises, strategies and details, but in honor of keeping these short, I call this the end. Maybe other Mom's can share theirs. Hope this helps!  

No comments:

Post a Comment