Tuesday, December 5, 2017

The Magic of Elderberry Syrup (Recipe Included)

Contributing Writer: Jessica Edmundson of California


Hi there, my name is Jessica and I am a lucky mama to my almost three year old daughter, Isla. Isla was born in the cold heart of December and I knew early on I needed to incorporate immune boosting herbs and foods into both our diets. I began making elderberry syrup when she was 11 months old, November, 2015, which was a particularly cold and wet winter in our area. In addition to that, we have family in Humboldt County, California… ever heard of the Humboldt crud? You don’t want it! I diligently ensured her and I took a spoonful in the morning, and again at night and guess what? No sickness in my home all winter or spring! 

I still wasn’t sure if it had been luck that got us through, or if elderberry syrup was as magical as I’d heard. The following winter rolled around and I, again, started making the elderberry syrup until I missed a batch. It was January and we were incredibly busy and I just didn’t make the time to cook the syrup for three days. Three days. Isla got the flu in those three days. I knew then, it was a magic elixir and I would never skip a batch during cold and flu season again! After coming to the conclusion that it was magic, I had to know why. Why is this stuff so critical to fighting off sickness? I did my research and I tweaked my recipe with my new found information. I learned that the ingredients above work synergistically to build your immune system, helping you to fight off the germs you come in contact with daily! The best part is, my daughter loves the taste and asks for more syrup!
Elderberry Syrup Recipe - Makes one 16oz jar of syrup.

2/3 cup – dried Elderberries
1 ½ inch – ginger root, peeled and sliced
1 tsp – cinnamon powder
1 tsp – cloves
3 slices – lemon
3 ½ cups – water
½ cup – honey (If you find you prefer a sweeter taste, just add more honey!)
Add the dried elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, lemon and water to a medium to large pot, mix and bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, reduce heat and let simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture is reduced by about half. Remove from heat and use a flat surface to press the berries, this releases some extra goodness! Fine strain the mixture over a bowl, use a spoon or spatula to press all the liquid from the ingredients. Let the liquid cool until warm but not hot, stir in the honey until fully mixed then jar it up and keep it refrigerated. Depending on how many are taking the syrup and how much you use this will last 1-2 weeks. One 16oz jar lasts me and my daughter two weeks, each taking one tablespoon twice a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment