Tuesday, October 3, 2017

What is Having it All? Career and Motherhood.

Contributed by Writer: Ashly McVea-Figueroa
Creater of: Alice & Eddy Party
Blogger at: www.aliceonsunday.com
Photo by: Iridescent Photography
I have always been a very career focused person. Then I
became a mom and became a very motherhood focused person. And that’s ok. I
juggled both for about 4 years in the sports + entertainment industry and it
was killer. The thing about that particular industry is it never sleeps.
Unfortunately, neither does an infant…or a toddler and a newborn in the same
house, or two toddlers in the same room.
Things started falling through the cracks in my life. I was
missing soccer practices and mommy & me dances and good night kisses.
Meanwhile, I was promoted 3 times in a 3-year span. And that was what all my
hard work was for, right? But, in all that success, it felt really empty.
Seriously, empty.
So I quit! And don’t get me wrong; Mama Bears can have it
all. Women do it every-freaking-day. Women work full time jobs while pumping in
their cubicles, talking on the phone and setting up play dates. I see it all
time. I was living that life. But I wanted more out of motherhood. I made the
choice to give up career so that I could sacrifice ZERO in motherhood.
The thing is, I don’t feel less successful—I started a small
business (Alice & Eddy Party) that has made less than $1000 in the first
month of business, I’m cash poor (for now) and that is ok….kinda. It’s a process.
In the same vein, I didn’t turn into super mom. I still let
me kids watch way “too much” tv. I still make grilled cheese instead of
preparing a 3 course meal…you get the picture.
The point it, I am happy. My kids see and feel my presence
all the time. I am loved so fully and now I have the time & the energy to
show them that same level of “I can’t live without you” kind of love that they
have always shown me.
I am a stay-at-home Mama Bear with a master’s degree and
experience in an industry that some people never break into. How crazy is that?
But it is my reality and I’m standing in it…happily.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your pieces of writing, I keep reading and reading and do not want it to end. So glad that you are happy and that the kids have you all for themselves!

    ReplyDelete